Basic Life Support training is mandatory for registered nurses and healthcare assistants; however, it can be beneficial to all.
Survival rates for an unconscious individual are increased by up to 60 per cent through prompt resuscitation. With this in mind, our BLS training course aims to increase learners’ confidence when responding to emergency situations. This interactive training course covers both the practical and theory-based elements of Basic Life Support. Participants will learn how to perform chest compression and CPR, how to operate an automated external defibrillator safely and how to place an unconscious breathing victim in the recovery position.
The content follows the guidelines of the Resuscitation Council (UK) and includes the use of an automated external defibrillator (AED) and the DRABCD approach to resuscitation. Competence in Basic Life Support is a prerequisite for enrolment for all advanced-level training provided by the European Resuscitation Council.
After this half-day course staff will be able to:
- Early recognise signs of cardiac arrest and understand the differences between heart attacks and cardiac arrest
- Know how to respond appropriately to a casualty
- Deliver effective chest compressions and effective lung ventilation and good quality chest compressions
- Understand what a DNACPR means and why people might want to refuse emergency treatment
- Understand what an AED is and how to use one safely
- Know what to do if someone who is choking
- Record event information accurately and record-keeping
- Owing to the practical nature of this course a basic level of general fitness is required, delegates must be physically able to carry out the procedures detailed in the course outline. Should you have any questions relating to the accessibility of this course please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
A simulated competency assessment will take place at the end of the session, supervised by one of our trainers, allowing delegates to return to the workplace and embed the learning further until deemed competent within their organisation’s guidelines and protocols.
VIEW PRICES FOR COURSES