According to Stomawise over 21,000 new stomas are formed every year in patients. They can be temporary or permanent and most people may need assistance with its care.
Our stoma care training course syllabus includes everything nurses, healthcare assistants and care workers who are responsible for delivering stoma care to their clients, need to start practising in the workplace.
Participants will gain an understanding of the digestive system, different types of stoma, diet and the implications and side effects that a stoma can cause and how to ensure the site is kept clean and hygienic as well as recognising when to seek further medical attention if there are any abnormalities.
As part of this course, we will also provide the staff with a basic knowledge of the products that are available and how to use these effectively.
The session will be conducted by one of our expert clinical trainers, who is either a nurse or a doctor with an abundance of clinical and complex care experience and knowledge, learners will be observed and evaluated throughout the day.
After this half-day course staff will be able to:
- Describe the role of the stoma care nurse and the HCA or RN in caring for patients with a stoma
- Understand the different reasons patients and service-users may have had stoma surgery
- Describe the support of a patient who may need to become independent with stoma care
- Identify the different types of stoma
- Identify products used in stoma care
- Recognise stoma abnormalities and complications
- Adhere to good infection control procedures to minimise the risk of infections and other complications
- Describe the importance of skincare
- Understand dietary implications and management
There is no formal assessment for this course, although there is an expectation that the delegates will participate in the group activities and discussions to allow the learning to take place. Upon return to work, delegates should be allowed to practice under supervision to embed the learning further until deemed competent within their organisation’s guidelines and protocols.
VIEW PRICES FOR COURSES