Venepuncture and cannulation are the most commonly performed invasive procedures in the UK and are everyday procedures in health care practice.
Our course is aimed at those working in the health and social care sectors including government and private hospitals, private ambulance services, nursing homes, older adult care homes, domiciliary care providers, nurseries, neonatal and paediatric intensive care and doctor’s surgeries etc. This could include those responsible for obtaining blood from patients, with duties including monitoring medication levels, treatments, screening and interventions. The qualification is ideal for new starters as well as experienced staff requiring a refresher.
This training session will cover both all theoretical elements such as the anatomy, preventing infections, physiology, veins, blood collections devices and procedures including Health and Safety awareness as well as all practical elements relating to Venepuncture & Cannulation. Attendees will have the opportunity to practice their skills with a simulated model.
The session will be conducted by one of our expert clinical trainers, who is either a nurse or a doctor with an abundance of clinical and complex care experience and knowledge, learners will be observed and evaluated throughout the day.
At the end of the session, you will be able to practice venepuncture and cannulation under supervision within your clinical area.
After this half-day course staff will be able to:
- Understand and describe Venepuncture and Cannulation indications, complications, care and management theory
- Understand physiology relevant to venepuncture
- Contribute to and manage a high performance and effective skills in Venepuncture and Cannulation
- Confidently challenge current health and social care practices, and use appropriate evidence to articulate your views
- Identify the procedure required and preparing, obtaining and transportation of blood samples
- Discuss potential complications and infection control issues relating to venepuncture
- Raise awareness around legal and professional considerations in regard to venepuncture
- Link theory to practice by demonstrating the safe and correct procedure on training arm model
A simulated competency assessment will take place at the end of the session, supervised by one of our trainers, allowing delegates to return to the workplace and embed the learning further until deemed competent within their organisation’s guidelines and protocols.
VIEW PRICES FOR COURSES