Moving and handling is a key part of the working day for most employees; from moving equipment, laundry, catering, supplies or waste to assisting some people with their mobility.
In health and social care, moving and handling of people is a regular task which if not done safely, can cause serious injuries to both staff and the residents.
Our aim is to provoke further thinking about what actions we need to take to prevent and minimise the risk of injuries.
Our Moving & Handling of People covers topics such as the safe introduction of manual handling practices, including the use of equipment, in the workplace. We explore what the law says, and which legislation may be relevant for assessing moving and handling risks as well as teaching how to maintain service users’ comfort, safety and dignity at all times.
After this one-day course staff will be able to:
- Understand relevant legislation in relation to individuals, their organisation, employers, and colleagues
- Gain an understanding of the spinal function and the main causes of back injuries, how to minimize those risks by implementing best practices within their organization and therefore safeguarding themselves and people using the service
- Understand why we implement the principles of biomechanics and the benefits associated with efficient and effective movement
- Understand why ‘controversial techniques’ are deemed to be unsafe to both the workers and the service users
- Understand risk assessments and why they are required within a care setting
- Demonstrate and practise safe manual handling techniques, including the safe use of equipment
- Owing to the practical nature of this course a basic level of general fitness is required, delegates must be physically able to carry out the procedures detailed in the course outline. Should you have any questions relating to the accessibility of this course please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
The session is followed by a multiple-choice assessment, designed to test learners’ understanding of the course. A certificate will be issued after successful completion of the training course.
VIEW PRICES FOR COURSES